Time to check around the league, to make sure the movement has generally been normal and regular.
– May as well start with the problem: the blockage keeping Taylor Twellman from leaving the New England Revolution for England’s Preston North End. And, here I was, all set to bang out a “Free Taylor” post, only to discover that someone else – namely, Longshoe over at Who Ate All the Cupcakes – beat me to it. To his further credit, he even laid out a more thorough argument than I would have. But, to add to the excellent point that the time to rebuild in New England is now, here’s something else: I’d argue that Major League Soccer (MLS) has maxed out Twellman’s marketing potential; worse, barring some changes to the Revs make up – and none seem upcoming – the odds for Twellman doing something eye-catching (e.g. win MLS Cup) any time soon don’t look so hot. Given that, all the Revs (and, to whatever extent, MLS) are doing now is pissing off Twellman and giving future talents reasons against signing a long-term contract with New England.
Right. The rest of these are rumors and trades-in-progress to varying degrees. I’ll start with those filed under “outgoing” and conclude with “incoming”…which is where the real stretches lurk.
– Memo to foreign coaches: Finish the job. With Nate Jaqua heading over to Austria (and a little club called SCR Altach), you guys have only forward from the Houston Dynamo roster left to pick up: Brian Ching. I hear he’s the best anyway, so scoop him up before it’s too late! Hurry!!
– Chivas USA ‘keeper Brad Guzan picked up a suitor: Aston Villa. Chivas really needs to get cracking on that ‘keeper situation…
– Whither DC United’s Christian Gomez? Ives Galarcep has the latest…and it’s not looking so pretty for the midfielder. If I had to pick a destination for Gomez, I’d recommend the Colorado Rapids…but that could be because I’ve volunteered myself for watching them this year. I’d also like to wish him a happy future – he seems awful damn nice – but don’t know if that’s on the cards anywhere Fernando Clavijo coaches.
And now, the incoming – and a couple of these (the Toronto FC stuff) seem downright implausible:
– (English striker/winger) Darren Huckerby and Italian midfielder (and a good one) Stefano Fiore to Toronto FC. I can believe the first, but not the second. That said, I’d be OK with both happening. Y’know. Why not? But I must stress, these are rumors – e.g. things people talk about, sometimes just to kill time.
– This one seems more plausible, mainly because San Jose has to start adding someone to their friggin’ roster. So why not former New England forward Willie Sims and Guatemalan d-mid Freddy Thompson? Again, this is a rumor, but warm bodies – preferably athletic ones with decent feet – are definitely needed in SJ.
– And, finally, a rumor that didn’t come from MLS Rumors (at least not that I know of): somewhere in the middle of an update on all things Red Bull and New York you’ll find talk about a guy named Martin Liguera being connected to MLS’s New York club.