A good 1-2k showed up for the festivities at Turbine Hall, the whole investors’ group was readily accessible, and a couple things were said that wasn’t covered fully in the MLS Press Release.
Continue below – first though, here is the video of Nick Sackiewicz addressing Sons of Ben at Dark Horse Tavern on Tuesday night. Yours truly sits right at 0:38 with the glasses and striped blue shirt [without the scarf]. Handsome devil I am. Enjoy. Particularly the moment where Sons of Ben gives Sackiewicz his first round of Philadelphia boos.
Read on below for press conference tidbits:
– The head of the Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer Association will head up the Youth Development program for MLS Philly.
– There are thoughts, post 2010, to bring a women’s team to the area.
– Sons of Ben president Bryan James was interviewed, called up on stage, and asked to speak. Each speaker mentioned the Sons of Ben, a true testament to all that they’ve done.
– Seattle has sold over 12,000 season tickets now. That’s ridiculous.
– Nick Sakiewicz has called this the “fan’s team”, which leads me to believe that the colors will remain light blue and yellow (a la Philadelphia flag) with probably black or white foundations.
– The fan’s will vote for the MLS Philadelphia name.
– US Soccer legend Walter Bahr was on hand and received a couple shoutouts.
– For those that haven’t been to the site, it will be gorgeous once everything is up and running. Once I figure out how to extract photos from my stupid cell phone, I’ll get them up on the site.
– CEO Jay Sugarman looks like a cross between Jim Carrey, and someone else, anyone know who that other person is? Both Mayor Nutter and Governor Rendell were on hand.
The archived video of the press conference should be up very shortly on MLSNet.